Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question about Lend A Box® that you’re afraid to ask us? As your second grade teacher always said, there are no stupid questions, but generally, they are the easiest to answer. Lucky for you, this isn’t school and we aren’t handing out grades. We are, however, handing out answers to the questions we are most frequently asked. If only your teachers had been that cool.
- How do I figure out how many boxes to order?
We’ve put together suggested bedroom packages based on past client experiences and we have found that those packages meet the needs of about 90% of our clients. If you think you’re in the 10% (or the 1%) who require additional boxes because you have lots of really cool stuff to move, then you probably will want to order a few more boxes (or make multiple trips with the same boxes). To make it easy, we’ve put together our most popular add-ons – the library package for those of you with lots of books and the kids package to hold the stuff that comes with having little mini-yous in the house. For wardrobe boxes, we suggest ordering one wardrobe for every two feet of hanging clothing you’d like to pack.
- What if I need more boxes after my delivery?
Most people find that our packages are sufficient to accommodate their move. If you need additional boxes, however, you can go online and order more or give us a call and we’ll get them to you.
- How do I pay for my boxes and supplies?
We accept VISA, MasterCard, and Discover. We’ll take payment when you order online or over the telephone. For corporate orders, invoicing is also an option.
- Will I receive a confirmation from Lend A Box® after I order my boxes and supplies?
Yes, you will receive an e-mail confirmation upon placing your order. And of course, you can e-mail us at email@example.com or call us with any questions you may have.
- Can I pick up the boxes at your warehouse instead of having them delivered?
Yes! If you’d like to save the delivery fee (or you just like visiting warehouses), call us to arrange for a pickup and return of the boxes at our Chantilly warehouse. Please keep in mind that these boxes do take up space, so you’ll need to have a car with seats that lay down flat, or even better, an SUV or minivan with lots of room.
- Can I change the drop-off or pick-up dates for the boxes?
Absolutely! Should your plans change, simply call us to reschedule. We request at least 24 hours notice for schedule changes so we can efficiently plan our drivers’ schedules.
- Is there a cancellation fee if my plans change and I no longer need the boxes? We know that plans change. If you let us know at least 24 hours in advance that you no longer need the boxes, there will be no charge to you. Otherwise, we will charge you 20% of the cost of your order (hey, those boxes could have been used by someone else if we hadn’t put them aside for you!).
- What is a pirates favorite letter? I know you think it’s the R, but it actually be the C.
- Are there any hidden fees?
We get just as annoyed as you do when we find extra fees added to a “final price.” So here’s the deal – we charge a delivery fee to cover our labor and fuel costs – and that’s it.
- What if I need the boxes less than one week or more than four weeks?
Our minimum rental period is one week. So if you need them for just a few days, we’re happy to pick the boxes up when you’re done, but we will still charge you for the full week’s rental price. We do offer daily rates after the first week’s rental as well as long term rates- contact us for pricing. You can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call.
- I love these boxes! Can I keep them?
Sure thing! And thanks for the love! Lend A Boxes may be adopted for $30 each. Wardrobe boxes are $70 each. Dollies are $120 each.
- We’ve had some pretty crazy weather in the DC area. What happens if there is a freak snowstorm or hurricane or earthquake on the day my boxes are to be delivered?
We try to be prepared for anything while providing excellent customer service to our clients. That being said, we also care about the safety of our drivers. So we will do our utmost to get your order to you on time, but if we can’t do that safely, we will call you to reschedule. We ask for your patience and understanding if events outside of our control require us to reschedule your delivery.
Box Deliveries and Pickups
- Do I have to be around when you deliver or pickup the boxes?
Although we would love to meet you, if you have a safe space for the boxes that is easily accessible by our drivers (like on your driveway or patio), we can easily arrange for a delivery or pickup without you being there. If your apartment or condo community has a concierge, we are happy to coordinate delivery to or pickup from them as well. Just make sure that you provide us with specific instructions and contact information, so everything goes smoothly.
- How quickly can Lend A Box® deliver boxes to me?
It’s best to schedule your delivery and pickup as soon as you know your dates to ensure you get the time slot you want. But we will strive to accommodate everyone’s requests, including short notice requests, to the best extent possible. When possible, we provide same day delivery, which has an additional fee of $25.00.
- Which neighborhoods do you currently service? We provide services to most of Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. We also service the Maryland suburbs of D.C. We are expanding our service area, so let us know if there is an area you want us to cover.
- Why did the cowboy get a weiner dog? Because he wanted to get a long little doggie!
- I live on the fifth floor of an apartment building. Will you deliver the boxes to my door?
Yes, we will – and there is no extra charge for the sweat!
- May I tip the awesome people who deliver my boxes?
While never expected, a tip is always appreciated as recognition of our employees’ hard work.
- What if my dog destroys or damages a box or other rental item during my move?
It hasn’t happened yet, but your dog could be the first. So we won’t put you (or your dog) in the doghouse – we’ll just charge you the replacement cost ($30 per Lend A Box®, $70 per wardrobe box, and $120 per dolly).
- What products and services do you offer?
We rent 100% recyclable plastic boxes in multiple sizes, wardrobe boxes, and dollies. Labels and security ties are included with the rental. We also sell environmentally friendly packing products.
- There are other choices now in the DC area for renting boxes. Why should I choose Lend A Box?
When Lend A Box first started, we were the only company crazy enough to offer plastic boxes to people moving in the DC area. Five years later, we’re still going strong. Our Yelp reviews tell a wonderful story of our journey (http://www.yelp.com/biz/lend-a-box-arlington-3), but if you don’t have time for some light reading, we’ll provide the highlights here:
- Size matters! Our standard box (27″x17″x12″) provides 3.2 cubic feet of space. But sometimes smaller is better, which is why we also include a few of our blue boxes (about the size of a bankers box) in each package for your heavy stuff. Our small boxes are 2.4 cubic feet. For those of you who want to impress the neighbors (or perhaps just pack bulkier items), we also offer extra large boxes (28″20″x15″), which are 4.86 cubic feet. The extra large box is available by calling our office at (703) 988-2470.
- All dollies are not created equal! We’ve experimented with different products over the years to find the ones that work best for our clients. The dollies we offer are custom-made for your boxes, ensuring that your boxes won’t shift or fall in transit. It was tempting to offer less expensive hand-dollies at the start, but we stuck to our commitment to provide only the best products, as your stuff is too valuable to be sliding off a dolly onto your foot!
- Your time is valuable! We offer one-hour (instead of two or more hour) delivery windows.
- We are a customer-service oriented business that also happens to deliver boxes. Our number one commitment is to reduce your stress. How do we do that? We make ordering online or over the phone easy. If you have a question, give us a call – we’ll answer the phone! We will confirm all the details via a confirmation e-mail and give you a phone call the day before we see you. We will adjust your order as necessary to get you what you want. Our drivers show up when we promise (or we’ll call you to let you know what’s going on). There are no surprises with Lend A Box!
- Cleanliness is next to … your clothes! We clean and sanitize each box every time it comes back to our warehouse before sending it out again.
- Our boxes protect your stuff from water, mud, bugs, flooding… (not all plastic boxes do).
- Do you rent boxes for corporate moves or renovations?
Absolutely! We have special pricing for corporate clients, so please call us at (703) 988-2470 and we’ll get you set up.
- What are the benefits of using a Lend A Box® instead of cardboard?
There are so many reasons to choose Lend A Boxes over cardboard. Pick one or two (or all ten) that speak to you:
- Lend A Box® saves you time and money by delivering the boxes to your door and picking them up after your move. You avoid purchasing, assembling, breaking down, and disposing of cardboard boxes.
- One ton of cardboard is eliminated from landfills for every 10 four-bedroom packages or 50 studio packages rented from Lend A Box® .
- Lend A Boxes are made from 100% recyclable plastic. A Lend A Box® is used hundreds of times before being reground into another Lend A Box®. Cardboard boxes are typically used once or twice in their lifetime before ending up in a landfill.
- Producing one ton of cardboard requires 17 trees, 79 gallons of oil, 7,000 gallons of water, and 42,000 kilowatts of energy. By using our plastic boxes instead of cardboard for residential moves, Americans could save over 400 million gallons of oil, about 120 million trees, and almost 65 million cubic yards of landfill annually.
- Our moving supplies are environmentally sustainable options to traditional moving materials.
- Lend A Boxes are more sanitary than cardboard boxes because they do not let in rodents or moisture (which leads to bacteria and mold).
- Lend A Boxes are cleaned and disinfected between each use.
- Lend A Boxes are more space-efficient than varying sizes of cardboard boxes when packing a moving truck.
- Lend A Boxes will not collapse. They are stronger and able to have more weight stacked on top of them than cardboard boxes.
- Lend A Boxes will not shift as easily as cardboard boxes will during transport.
- Why is a Lend A Box® a better choice than a previously used cardboard box?
Previously used cardboard boxes are a cheaper alternative and certainly better for the environment than new cardboard boxes. But you still might not want to put your personal belongings in them. Old boxes could have been sitting in storage for a long period of time, exposing the boxes to rodents and insects; or they could have gotten damp, allowing bacteria and mold to grow. Eeeeewwwwww… And if you’re the kind of person who actually wants to use the stuff you pack after you get to your new place, you should know that cardboard boxes can collapse after only one or two uses. Lend A Boxes are used hundreds of times with no loss of strength, increasing the likelihood that your Great Aunt Millie’s prized salt and pepper shakers will arrive at your new place in tact.
- How are Lend A Boxes different from plastic boxes I can purchase at the store? Lend A Boxes are made of industrial strength plastic that will not shatter or collapse under the weight of heavy boxes on top of them. Plastic boxes available in the home storage areas of stores selling to the general public are not anywhere close to being as strong as a Lend A Box, as they are not made with the same type of plastic. They will shatter and they will collapse under heavy weight. Moreover, they are smaller in size than our standard boxes, so you’d need to get many more of them to pack up.
- Are Lend A Boxes clean? Do I need to worry about bugs or mold?
We clean and sanitize each box before each use to give you the happiest moving box experience possible. Even better, Lend A Boxes are 100% bug-free and mold-free guaranteed.
- Are there any restrictions on what I can put in the Lend A Boxes?
Pretty much anything can go into a Lend A Box®, but remember not to over pack and bend with your knees, not your back!
- Is Lend A Box® a moving company?
No. We provide the supplies you need to make your move easy and seamless. We do know lots of moving companies, however, so ask us for recommendations.
- Will Lend A Box® also pack and move my boxes?
No. Arranging for the packing and moving of your boxes is your responsibility. After all, we don’t want to take away all of your moving fun.
- Why shouldn’t you criticize someone until after you’ve walked a mile in their shoes? Because that way, when you criticize them you’ll be a mile away and you’ll have their shoes.
- My movers are packing for me. Can I still use Lend A Boxes?
Absolutely! In fact, professional movers love using Lend A Boxes because of their uniform size, strength, and stack-ability.
- I plan to remodel my home. Can I use Lend A Box to pack my stuff? Yes! We can provide boxes for your remodel or renovation. We can also recommend great remodeling companies.
- Do you recycle Lend A Boxes?
Yes. Once a Lend A Box®’s useful life is over, the box is reground and reincarnated as a spanking new Lend A Box®!
- This is such a cool company. Is Lend A Box® offering franchising opportunities?
We are not a franchise, but we are expanding quickly and would love to talk to you about how you could work with us. Give us a call!
- Is Lend A Box hiring? We are always looking to hire hard-working individuals who are excited to join a company with huge growth potential.
- Sometimes Lend A Box team members tuck their knees into their chests and lean forward. That’s just how we roll around here.